by Lowell Angell
The often-ignored slice of land leading into Mānoa Valley, known as Triangle Park, has been beautified with twelve new trees, now growing nicely. In a few years, they’ll provide lush canopies of shade and color to the otherwise largely open area.
Several interested Mālama members, Linda Legrande, Joe and Nadine Ferraro, Gail Baron and Lowell Angell, met (pre-Covid) to discuss potential park upgrades and felt a few more trees would be a nice addition. Joe presented the idea to then-Mayor Kirk Caldwell, who agreed and arranged it through his 1,000 Trees program. The Department of Parks and Recreation planted nine rainbow shower and three kukui trees. We sincerely appreciate their kokua!
Triangle Park has a long and interesting history. Previously part of the large estate of A.A. and Mary Jane Montano, the property, flanked by Upper and Lower Mānoa Roads (now Mānoa and East Mānoa), was acquired in 1907 for use as a park. On the mauka side, the short Gore Way links these roads. A “gore” is “a small, usually triangular piece of land” and referred to this Montano property. A fire station was once proposed for the site, but residents strongly objected.
First called simply “Mānoa Park,” it once featured a bougainvillea-covered pergola with stone columns where the Royal Hawaiian Band gave neighborhood concerts, and an “Italian” fountain, both paid for by contributions from Mānoa residents and $100 from Princess Kawānanakoa. Next time you drive past Triangle Park, slow down, admire the new trees, and reflect on another bit of historic Mānoa.